We are Tír na mBláth, the Irish cultural organization in southeast Florida dedicated to the preservation and promotion of Irish traditional music, dance, language, and culture. Tír na mBláth (Gaelic for Land of Flowers) sponsors numerous Irish cultural events in the southeast Florida area.
Tír na mBláth (pronounced teer nah blah) is a branch of the largest, worldwide group involved in the preservation and promotion of Irish traditional culture Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann (CCÉ), which is headquartered in Dublin, Ireland. Our Tír na mBláthe branch sponsors numerous events in the southeast Florida tri-county area (Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade). Many events are held at Tim Finnegan’s Irish Pub in Delray Beach.
- Traditional Irish Music Seisiún
- Irish Language Class
- Irish Set Dancing
- Step and Ceili Dancing
- Irish Theatre and Cultural presentations
- Fleadh Cheoil or Irish Music festival held annually
Neither Tír na mBláth nor CCÉ have any religious or political affiliations and espouse no agenda other than the preservation, promotion and enjoyment of Irish music, song, language and dance.
Annual Branch Report – 10 May 2017
On behalf of John Whelan, our Cathaoirleach (Chair) and myself, I would like to thank all our board members for their hard work and dedication this past year. You have all worked tirelessly and used your many talents to make this a wonderful year for Tír na mBláth. We have been able to promote Irish music, song, dance and language and have had wonderful experiences while doing so.
A special thanks to Lisa and Noel Walsh of Tim Finnegans Irish Pub for the use of their premises and the many prizes that they have donated to our organization. We could not exist without their help. We urge our members to bring their friends to Tim Finnegans Irish Pub to hear the many bands and to enjoy their wholesome menu.
Our organization held many events and cultural activities.
- On Sunday afternoons at 3 p.m., our Irish Language (Gaeilge) and History class is followed by a rousing seissiun at 4 p.m.
- Our December Pub Quiz was enjoyed by all. Thank you Noel for serving as Quiz Master and also Jeff, our Oifigeach Ballraíochta (Membership Officer) who chairs our Pub Quiz events.
- Our Tin Whistle Class was conducted for five weeks and was taught by Mary and Rosemarie. The class performed for us at our Annual Fleadh Cheoil. A special thanks to Cass our Iniúchóir (auditor) for the use of his premises for the class and to the wonderful teachers for their time and talent.
- Our Annual Fleadh Cheoil was held in early February with music, step dancing, set dancing, dramatic reading, and song. Thanks to Kathy our Leastimire Damsha (Co-Dance Director) and Megan our Oifigeach na nóg (Youth Officer) for organizing the day-long event, as well as Randy our Oifigeach Caidrimh Poiblí (Public Relations Officer) who was the Master of Ceremonies.
- We were very pleased to have author J.P Sexton read excerpts from his book The Big Yank: Memoir of a Boy Growing Up Irish. He very graciously donated a copy for Tír na mBláth to offer as a prize for our fundraising.
- We were able to promote Tír na mBláth as well as our sister organization The Irish Theatre of Florida and J.P. Sexton’s book The Big Yank, at a booth sponsored by MHW Limited which was arranged by Mary, our Rúnaí (Secretary). A special thank you to Rose of BMC Wines and Spirits for her donations of wines and her very kind support.
- On April 1, Tí na mBláth held our first Annual Membership Dinner where one of our founding members, Sean Quilter was honored with the presentation of a plaque, and a 1916 Easter Rising Padraig Pearse commemorative coin. The event, joined by many friends, family, and colleagues made for a huge attendance with lots of great fun and camaraderie.
- Finally, at the close of our season, another Pub Quiz took place the following week. It was well attended and provided an excellent fundraiser for our branch.
I am happy to report that we have increased our membership this year, almost double from last year, with 42 paid memberships. Welcome to all of you.
Please give us your suggestions. I encourage all members to get in touch with any board member if they wish to share their talents to promote our Irish culture in south Florida.
Thank you, Carmel Hartnett, Leaschathaoirleach (Vice-Chair)
Interested in belonging to Tír na mBláth? Feel free to download our membership form:
For more complete information regarding CCÉ please visit the international parent website at http://comhaltas.ie/.